Responsive Advertisement

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Sen.Miriam Santiago Running For 2016 Presidency?


Senator Miriam Defensor-Santiago on Friday said she plans to run for President in 2016 if she is cured of cancer.

Santiago, who claimed being cheated by Fidel V. Ramos in the 1992 presidential elections, said only lung cancer is holding her back now.

"In the 2016 presidential elections, when I am rid of my lung cancer, I intend to claim the presidency I won in 1992," she said on Twitter.

"Should I be elected president, I intend to appoint a Cabinet, half of whom shall be from the youth sector, and half from senior citizens," she added.

More than 90% of cancer cells in Defensor-Santiago's lung have regressed, she said in a letter to the Senate last month.

In a separate Facebook post, Santiago bared what will make her seek the presidency yet again after failing twice in 1992 and 1998.

"When I was young, I thought it would be fun to be president. Now that I am in middle age, I think it would be supremely hard work. So I need to build up my stamina," she said.

Santiago also said earlier that she will run for president if she has are enough "like-minded" supporters such as constitutionalist Fr. Joaquin Bernas.

Asked if she can beat Vice President Jejomar Binay in the 2016 election, she said: "Oh yes, definitely. Kasi sa atin question lang yan kung meron kang pera."

Santiago said she is not afraid of any potential candidate in the 2016 polls, noting that she will give any candidate a "good run for their money."

Ad Code

Responsive Advertisement